Skylanders Academy General Discussion Topic
in the skylanders academy season 3. master eon and the skylanders will choise 2 options:

Show ContentSpoiler:
Skylanders Academy nominated for a 2018 Kidscreen Award for Best New Series for Kids!
"Your past may be fragmented, but your present is what matters."
This show deserves better awarding... It's not just a KIDS show...
~ Kairi_in_Skylands ~ I make silly AUs for a living.
I saw that! I'm glad it's getting recognized. Hopefully it wins!
People are calling an "average" show, people have no taste.
I think that's a bit far, Kairi...
But you still make a fair point that I completely side with: you sometimes have to question someone's taste in things. The show is by no means bad or even average; how could anyone call it that?
(Oh yeah, retro-Spyro fans and people who will hate anything that is popular)

Just try ignoring these people if you can; we all love the show here, and we aren't going to let anyone else's biased opinion get in the way!
Smile
I'm the Primordial Clok-Roo
Signing out!
James Hetfield teased a little of Wolfgang's lines in an upcoming episode of Season 3 on Instagram.

I'm half wondering if this is a comical jab at Ashley's mistake from last year.
Either way, this... ultimately amounts to nothing.

Unless someone else with a higher IQ can work anything out.
Signing out!
Show ContentSpoiler:
Well, yeah but, I was more referring to anything more cryptic.
Probably should have specified that...

Show ContentAlthough...:
Signing out!
Interesting!
Show ContentSpoiler:
OH YES finally another teaser for season 3! That's what I've been waiting for. Curious to see what this'll amount to...
Squee?
Skylanders Academy won a ReadPlayLearn "Fun Stuff" Award for Spyromania, the premiere episode from Season 2! 

http://www.parents-choice.org/product.cf...1&award=aw
Ugh. There's better awards that that.
Well it's better than nothing.
Angel The legacy of Spyro must go on.
Big Grin  Punching your computer is not the answer.
That's exciting! Even if its not really anything special, I'll take what I can get.
Even though Spyromania is a pretty weak episode... But eh, it's probably because everyone has to watch it at least once and too many kids restart the season without noticing.
Anime? In my Skylanders? It's more likely than you think.
I'm with Kairi - there's better awards the show could have gotten. And as Graup's has pointed out, it's over one of the weaker episodes in the series (apparently - still yet to watch enough episodes)...

But likespyrofreestyle said... it's better than nothing...
Like Ridely making a cameo in Smash Bros.
Is that stinging sensation I feel all the tears being cried out right now?
Ofcourse. Cause all I remembered from Spyromania, the episode that is nominated for Kids Award, is the part where Bomb Shell said he almost wasted on a bomb on a dragon with almost no "bloody" special powers. Sure I know "bloody" is the term that most of Americans didn't find it as offensive as the British made it out to be but being as a Irish person that watch the show and hearing one of my favourite characters says mince oats of the other word made my think he might have turned savage. It's funny to think this episode is nominated to be awarded containing a word that a few of you might find it funny or jarring. Me, I was shocked but find it hilarious to see how ballsy a show like this can go and still be considered a kids show. Regular Show, Adventure Time and Steven Universe are like that but they're cut down, censored or re dubbed in UK/Australian Versions which made me think they're sensitive to something that already a thing. Overall, this deserves it to be nominated if not, won it. Although I would say that Spyromania might have been a rehashed from the first episode being as a Spyro centred episode and it's about him trying to find something that made him unique. Although it does have some good moments here and there like Flashwing, Bomb Shell and the jokes kind of hit their mark, This episode kind of feels like a Spyro episode that already exist. It's different I know but I'm predicting another Spyro centred episode to start another season this year.
"Check out Skylanders Traplocke! A new way to play Trap Team."
It's in the Trap Team forums. Duh.
The award it got is dumb. There's better awards cough Annie Awards cough also that award makes it look super kiddie.
What are you expecting from a Netflix show that are geared towards kids that was based of from a game created the toys to life genre back in their prime. I know the award is not that much and it kind of making it as a kids show (despite their "bloody" humorous dialogues) but at least it win something and can win more. I wasn't expecting it to win something big although I agree it deserves better.
(02-04-2018, 09:48 AM)Kairi_in_Skylands Wrote: The award it got is dumb. There's better awards cough Annie Awards cough also that award makes it look super kiddie.

Well it IS a kids show, Kairi. Skylanders Academy has always been a kids show.
Allow me to provide the counter argument to what you said, Crystal.

True, it's a show that kids can watch... but is it really a show designed purely for kids?
I.e. Cartoony does not mean kid friendly. (You only need No More Heroes for that.)

There is a fine line between a kids show and a show for all ages. Kids shows are meant to appeal to younger audiences, whereas a show for all ages keeps a family friendly facade to hide all of the stuff only grown-ups will understand. Basically The Simpsons or Ratchet and Clank, as examples.
I feel this show falls into the category of 'all ages' - given all the carefully disguised/hidden adult references and jokes, along with the genius cover-up for the 'S' expletive  - so Kairi's argument makes sense: recognising it as just a kids show kind of undermines its appeal to all ages...
And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the show initially described as "for all ages" or something along those lines?

Besides, the way Season 3 is shaping up, calling it just a kids show is not going to be an accurate assumption.

In other words:
  • Can kids watch the show? Yes.
  • Is that the primary target audience? No, not really.
  • Who is the target audience? All ages.
  • Does it accomplish that task? Yeah, but it's not being recognised as such.
P.S. Kairi's exact wording is "super" kiddie...
This show ain't no Peppa Pig!
Signing out!
Activision neutered several parts of the show, to use the closest appropriate expression, to make it more for kids than all-ages. Eric stated that. So kids' show, even if it's more of a Nickelodeon show than Discovery Kids(does it still exist elsewhere? I think it's Discovery Family outside of the country).
Anime? In my Skylanders? It's more likely than you think.
OK, we'll just have to agree to disagree this time...

To me, if it looks like a duck and it quacks, its a duck... not a pelican.
Just give it edge, just look at those other kids shows, touching darker themes, stop making look so kiddie.
You know it’s not going to happen.
Season 3 better get dark. No iffs or buts. Like it's Netflix, you can get away with stuff there.
(02-04-2018, 11:34 PM)Kairi_in_Skylands Wrote: Season 3 better get dark. No iffs or buts. Like it's Netflix, you can get away with stuff there.

Well the story is kinda is and Season 2 did a really good job stitching the story together in each ending of the episode. The Cliffhanger is dark enough for anyone to want to see what happen in season 3. I'm not saying this show (or the game side) decided to go Adventure Time on us with the Lich episode but this show already broken a few boundaries that makes further than as a "Kiddie show"
I'm just tired that they're trying to prevent this series to get a little edge and darkness and I don't mean go "2Edgy4Me" route.