Fan Favorites? More like "developer favorites"
As we know 'fan favorites' is a term in the series for Skylanders who is well-liked by the fanbase and are considered notable flagship characters for the franchise, like Spyro and Stealth Elf.

However, the developers make the calls on who should be reposed or not, and the chosen Skylanders are sometimes those that are well-liked mostly by the game developers themselves.

The prime example of a 'game developer favorite' Skylander is Gill Grunt, he is reposed EVERY GAME, even got a SuperCharger form. Mostly because the developers like him so much. Other possible example is Shroomboom.

Curtis Orr, SuperChargers artbook Wrote:Did you know that every Skylanders game has had a new version of Gill Grunt?

It kind of destroys the point of fan favorites if the developers get the call on who can get reposed for a future game or not, and puts in THEIR favorites in instead.
"Your past may be fragmented, but your present is what matters."
Ohhhhh that's why he appears in pretty much every game! After many times I heard of people saying they don't like Gill grunt it made me wonder why he still gets so many reposes than even Spyro lol! Pretty selfish of them honestly to do that and give squat to the actual fan favorites.
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge BUT Imagination." -Albert Einstein
It might be the marketing team in Stealth Elf's case. But considering Acti is already real bad with community interaction, I wonder if they gave the dev teams a list of what the "marketing chart" concluded or something, and told them to say it was aaaalll the loveable creators' idea. Because yes, Eruptor, Pop, Spyro, Terrafin, SE(her mostly for the lack of impactful Life skylanders)- legitemately popular with the kids though for some it was probably overexposure. Jet-Vac, Roller Brawl, Gill Grunt? Not so much.
Anime? In my Skylanders? It's more likely than you think.
I thought the fan favorites were determined by sales at first.
"Your past may be fragmented, but your present is what matters."
Ditto
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge BUT Imagination." -Albert Einstein
How did I never find this until now?
Sorry to bump this thread unnecessarily, but I feel as though I should leave my opinion on the matter... even if it is 4 months late.

Well, wouldn't this case be similar to Pikachu from PokèMon? I'm pretty sure he wasn't made the series mascot because he was the fan favourite... they actually planned on making Clefairy the mascot initially!
It's a blurred line between fan favourites and developer favourites, if you ask me. Not to mention that given that there are so many varying opinions on each Skylander from everyone, it would be very difficult to determine who would actually classify as a fan favourite.
I think that the developers having chosen their favourites to use was the correct choice.

Besides, it's hard to have a fan favourite if they don't return every now and then. That's what makes the game specific Skylanders (Giants, SWAP Force, etc.) hard to keep popular.
If Battlecast were still around, I bet you this problem wouldn't exist.
I'm the Primordial Clok-Roo
Signing out!

(01-07-2018, 04:34 PM)CrystalBlazier Wrote: I thought the fan favorites were determined by sales at first.

Several of these characters were in starter packs and didn't have singles for quite some time. I guess SE was because of the sales and because not everyone wanted the 3DS starter pack, but VV's developers did say that the choice of putting more SE in starter packs was not theirs, it was from the marketing team.
Anime? In my Skylanders? It's more likely than you think.