What you really think about Skylanders and Spyro fandoms
I've been seeing a lot of thoughs on the Spyro Fandom rising more often but I noticed a pattern in them which people will not agree with me on me, but that not the point the case is what do you think about the Fandom in itself?

I got some strong opinions on the matter. But in long story short I don't like it that much there's so much hypocritical mindset in both sides of the arguments I've seen. Why try to argue about this Fandom if only showcase bias and hypocrisy. Anyway let's try to not heat things up.
~ Kairi_in_Skylands ~ I make silly AUs for a living.
[Image: l7Rkekg.png]

[Image: tkN73JW.png]

I sent this to Crystal on Twitter, but I might as well do it here too because why the hell not.

Some updates on this:
Spyro Reignited Trilogy confirmed.
In terms of the last point, Toys For Bob have confirmed that Classic Spyro and Skylanders Spyro are different/separate characters.

I have more thoughts, but left it at that before it got too long.

Also hello everyone wavesBig Grin New here, but not to Spyro ^_^
[Image: ftEzroE.gif]
Well, you should know what I think. But here it is in more detail:

To me, the Skylanders community is basically the TRUE Spyro fanbase, since we are mostly made up of people who love/like all if versions of Spyro (or at least classic and Skylanders) regardless of the changes. Sure, most of us here may prefer one series over the other, but as far as the character is concerned, we don't really care what happens to him; we love him all the same!

As for the retro-Spyro fanbase... well, I'm not sure I can say anything without it being censored - or worse, having me banned from the server.
Yeah, I don't have many polite things to say about the retro-Spyro community - if none at all.
I'm the Primordial Clok-Roo
Signing out!

Nice points JCW555! I really respect the way you expressed your thought in such a level-headed manner. I do have to agree with Primordial Clok-Roo, a lot of Sklyander fans are Spyro fans that are excited to see anything with him in it. I know I personally am. I'm not going to comment too much on the retro-base but I do think a lot of their criticism is unneeded and detrimental to Spyro.

IMHO, TFB handled Spyro wonderfully in Skylanders. They did not dumb him down in the slightest bit, and kept his personality reasonably intact. I see why people would think he was ugly in SSA (which he sorta was), but that was more of a Wii constrained graphics issue. I personally think OG Spyro is kinda weird/ugly looking, mostly because of the retro-graphics. So I'm at a loss why so many retro fans disliked him SO much.
(04-14-2018, 12:59 PM)Rovolin Wrote: Nice points JCW555! I really respect the way you expressed your thought in such a level-headed manner. I do have to agree with Primordial Clok-Roo, a lot of Sklyander fans are Spyro fans that are excited to see anything with him in it. I know I personally am. I'm not going to comment too much on the retro-base but I do think a lot of their criticism is unneeded and detrimental to Spyro.

IMHO, TFB handled Spyro wonderfully in Skylanders. They did not dumb him down in the slightest bit, and kept his personality reasonably intact. I see why people would think he was ugly in SSA (which he sorta was), but that was more of a Wii constrained graphics issue. I personally think OG Spyro is kinda weird/ugly looking, mostly because of the retro-graphics. So I'm at a loss why so many retro fans disliked him SO much.

Thank you for that, Rovolin. Big Grin Admittedly, I made a lot of "oh, Spyro in Skylanders looks like a goblin" jokes back in 2011-2013, but I realized that doing that forever would be pointless (even if I still think that), and it's not original anymore. If anything, I realize that Skylanders introduced a lot of people to Spyro, and even though they didn't treat him right in a lot of the games IMO in terms of throwing him aside, I think that's great. I've said this to other Skylanders fans, and they've agreed with me, in that Spyro in SSA was a very bad first impression for the redesign, and truly put the Spyro fandom in an un-heal-able state IMO. I know a lot of Skylanders fans who think that if Spyro started with his Academy design in the games, Spyro's design in Skylanders wouldn't have as much backlash as it ended up having. But you know the old saying, first impressions are everything, and Spyro in Skylanders started off on the wrong foot for a lot of people.

Toys For Bob's Classic Spyro model is so good, which begs the question of why they redesigned him in the first place? I realize that may have been an Activision decision, but man, TFB's Classic Spyro model being in Skylanders would have not had hardly any controversy and backlash.

For Classic Spyro, I'd refer you to artwork of him rather than the polygonal PS1 version. I'll always love the polygonal PS1 Spyro because I grew up with that version for 18 years, but the artwork for him is way better.

With Toys For Bob and Activision's marketing of the Reignited Trilogy confirming that Classic Spyro and Skylanders Spyro being separate/different characters entirely, I hope that people lick their proverbial fandom wounds now.

[Image: latest?cb=20120202135233]

[Image: latest?cb=20110619224128]

Spyro on the front cover of the first game has always been one of my favorite artworks of him. Just looks like a dude ready for a bad*** adventure.

[Image: latest?cb=20150618213210]

I've gone over why I don't like Skylanders' Spyro so many times in the past, so I won't do it here, but imagine going from the images above to these (at least in the games):

[Image: 01-620x.jpg]
2011-2012

[Image: skylanders_spyro_s_best_look_ever_by_ser...5zgcnk.jpg]
2013-2016

I can see why many people (me included) would be upset by it (though in my case, it was more like "Really? This is Spyro's look now? Ugh.").
[Image: ftEzroE.gif]
You guys have some nice points that even I can point them out but the main thing I've found Skylanders great is not because of Spyro but it's because of it's innovation of Toys to Life concept. It's something that we've never seen before that's executed well and I'm glad that there is a series that done it well enough to make it as a hit. Awesome Playable Characters, Awesome Gimmicks to spice up each games stories and concept and a fitting Atmospheric Anaesthetics.

But I will say that while I think Spyro's design in Skylanders is nothing to make a big complaint about, The design in the first Skylanders game is really off putting and outdated. Back then, I don't care about Spyro's redesign. Infact, I've find him the dragon I've remembered in his first classic game but put into more balance. He's still the same character. It's just like comparing a old lady with her young self picture. Sure she's not in her premier of her life but she's still her. The first 3 games use the same Spyro design but improve it as they go along because of the complaints that the fans of Spyro made. I've feel that Academy did it right when make Skyro a lot more better than his debut in the series. While he's not supposed to be the main of the games and just used for a market tactics, I've felt that it's another way to reintroduced the character from the past and while it's not executed right for some, It's a great way to bring Spyro in the limelight again so they can work on Spyro's Trilogy.

As for the fandoms themselves, I think Skylanders fandom would probably be the same with TLOS fanbase. Both of them are always calm and welcome new design of their favorite characters. Spyro fans however don't mind The Legend of Spyro's designs (though I have problems with one which is Rayro.) but they went split after Skylanders reveal Spyro in the game. Most of them hated the franchise just for Spyro and Spyro alone and with that, the series have a controversy mainly in it's prime time. Sure there are children who play the games who said that it's a great game which I agreed but adults who grew up with the Spyro series take the design of Spyro as a insult and blame Activision for their choices of bringing characters in the innovating and exciting ways.

For once, I understand where does the hate of Activision comes from. They got the license for most of the classic characters and don't know what to do with them after their final game made by them doesn't do well. Call of Duty is a series that works the same way as Skylanders. The series was a annual release and keep releasing a game every year and because of that, some Call of Duty games fall to the pit of rushed potential and concepts that feels they're running out of ideas and reuse the same concept from the previous games. Most titles from Activision has those and that's the reason why many people have a grudge on them and Spyro being in Activision's most profitable series that has nothing to do with him really made fans baffled.

Infact there is another franchise that does the same thing and that is Rayman's Raving Rabbids. People get on Ubisoft case for introducing the Rabbids in the franchise and it's starts out annoying for some and unlike Skylanders where it has platforming with a is innovating way of playing the game, The game takes the approach of Minigame Gallery and for the most part, 3 of them hit bulls-eye with the market. The first game was a huge success when released with good reviews. Then there was a sequel a year after. the sequel was mixed for being as disappointing and boring as the first games. Then there were Rayman Raving Rabbids: TV Party where they have minigames that let you use the Wii Fit Balance Board and it is the last Rabbids to ever have Rayman in it. It has mixed to positive reviews and it does way better than the 2nd game but not much than the first game. Then the rabbids finally have their own series without Rayman while he makes his comeback as Rayman Origins. (Which has nothing to do with his origins and instead feels like a classic comeback and a sequel to Rayman 3 somewhere.) Rabbids Go Home has really positive reviews upon release and the rest is history. Now they're the bane of Mario Fans existence with their presence on Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. (LOL)

Aside from Rayman, the Rabbids never really become insulting to Rayman's fans as they have to Grin and Bear It until his game FINALLY comes around. That's not the same with Skylanders as they all hate it regardless of wherever or not they used Spyro in the latest installment. After Trap Team, they never really use Spyro as a playable character much. Maybe because they don't want to get the same backlash with fans every game they've released but there are fans like Haedox bash the series by giving it a try and give it a crippling nostalgia review on the entire series overall. But there are some parts I have to agree on like his Superchargers game and disagree on Giants and Trap Team's part. He gave it a okay review on Skylanders Imaginators strange enough. It's his opinions anyway.

So which one of the fan spectrum do you guys think I'm in? Well, you already know I'm on the Skylanders fan side. While I've see the feud that goes on with the use of Spyro, I don't want it to be an actual fact of why the series is bad. In order to see how the game is good, it must be played and for some opinions on other Spyro fans who tried the series and still don't like it, I respect them for not taking it as a blind critique.
"Check out Skylanders Traplocke! A new way to play Trap Team."
It's in the Trap Team forums. Duh.